Terms of Service
This website, DisciplesHistory.org, is owned and operated by Disciples of Christ Historical Society (DCHS). When using DisciplesHistory.org, you agree to the terms and conditions listed on this page (the "Terms of Service Agreement"), which may be updated by us from time to time.
Hyperlinks to other websites
DisciplesHistory.org may provide, or third parties may provide, links to other websites or internet-based resources. Because DisciplesHistory.org has no control over such sites and resources, you acknowledge and agree that DCHS is not responsible for the availability of such external sites or resources, and does not endorse and is not responsible or liable for any content, advertising, products, or other materials on or available from such sites or resources. You further acknowledge and agree that DCHS shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such site or resource.
DisciplesHistory.org may accept user-submitted content; however DCHS is under no obligation to use such content. By submitting content, you warrant that you are the owner or copyright holder of such content and that you are granting DCHS a non-exclusive, perpetual license to use and reproduce this content in any form known or in the future developed. By submitting content, you agree to hold DCHS harmless against any action or claim arising from any dispute regarding the ownership of content. DCHS DOES NOT KNOWINGLY ACCEPT OR REPRODUCE CONTENT FOR WHICH IT DOES OWN OR HAVE PERMISSION TO REPRODUCE. DCHS WILL INVESTIGATE ALL COMPLAINTS REGARDING COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT AND WILL REMOVE ANY CONTENT FOR WHICH PERMISSION HAS NOT BEEN PROPERLY ASSIGNED TO DCHS. Contact DCHS at mail@DisciplesHistory.org to report any copyright violation.
Use of DisciplesHistory.org
DCHS grants you a non-exclusive, non-transferable license to create an account for and use DisciplesHistory.org in accordance with this Terms of Service Agreement. DisciplesHistory.org and any associated documentation are and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of DCHS.
DisciplesHistory.org does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. You must be 13 years of age or older to create an account or use any interactive feature of DisciplesHistory.org
You may not:
- modify DisciplesHistory.org
- publish, display, disclose, rent, lease, modify, loan, distribute, or create derivative works based on DisciplesHistory.org or any part thereof beyond the license granted to you as described in our Copyright Policy, without the express written permission of DCHS
- remove, obliterate, or cancel from view any copyright, trademark, confidentiality or other proprietary notice, mark or legend appearing on DisciplesHistory.org
- reverse engineer, decompile, translate, adapt or dissemble DisciplesHistory.org
- attempt to create the source code from the object code for DisciplesHistory.org.
Certain features of DisciplesHistory.org require you to provide personal information, such as your name and email address, and obtain a user name and password from DisciplesHistory.org. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account number and/or password. You are responsible for all uses of your account, whether or not actually or expressly authorized by you.
To protect our web visitors and respond to web visitor needs and complaints, you consent to allow DCHS employees access your account and records on a case-by-case basis to investigate complaints or other allegations or abuse. DCHS shall not disclose the existence or occurrence of such an investigation unless required by law.
DisciplesHistory.org may provide certain interactive features for the benefit of its users. DCHS makes no warranties as to the suitability, accuracy, or availability of these features. USE THESE INTERACTIVE FEATURES AT YOUR OWN RISK. DCHS may, without notice, modify, change or discontinue any or all interactive features. Any interactive feature (email, discussion boards, personal folders, etc.) that DisciplesHistory.org may provide, even if intended for private, personal use, or only for distribution to a private audience, may be subject to public access. DCHS makes no warranty that any interactive feature is private. Although we reserve the right to remove without notice any interactive feature, for any reason, we have no obligation to delete content that you may find objectionable or offensive. Information and opinions expressed in bulletin boards or other interactive communications are not necessarily those of DCHS. Users alone are responsible for the contents of the messages they communicate when using our services as well as the consequences of any such messages. In addition, You agree not to use DisciplesHistory.org or any of its interactive features to:
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, pornographic or sexually explicit, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable to DCHS
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available content that violates laws or regulations designed to protect minors
- impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, the DisciplesHistory.org webmaster, forum leader, guide or host, of falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person on entity
- forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Content transmitted through DisciplesHistory.org
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content that you do not have a right to make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements)
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary right ("Rights") of any party
- upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or any other form of solicitation
- Intentionally upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available nay material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware on telecommunications equipment
- disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, cause a screen to scroll faster than other users of DisciplesHistory.org are able to type, or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users’ ability to engage in real time exchanges
- interfere with or disrupt DisciplesHistory.org servers or networks connected to DisciplesHistory.org , or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to DisciplesHistory.org
- intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law or any regulations having the force of law
- stalk or otherwise harass another
- collect or store personal data about other users
DCHS does not condone copyright infringement and will not tolerate such infringement by its users. Accordingly, DCHS may, in appropriate circumstances and at its discretion, disable and/or terminate the accounts of users who may be infringing the intellectual property rights of others.
We may modify or discontinue of services or your account with us, with or without notice, without liability to you, any other user or any third party. We reserve the right to terminate your account if we learn that you have provided us with false or misleading registration information, interfered with other users or the administration of DCHS's services, or violated these Terms of Service.
You understand and agree that DCHS services are provided AS IS. DCHS assumes no responsibility for the timeliness, deletion, mis-delivery or failure to store any user communications or personalization settings.
YOU UNDERSTAND AND EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT USE OF DCHS'S SERVICES ARE AT YOUR SOLE RISK, THAT ANY MATERIAL AND/OR DATA DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF DCHS’S SERVICES IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF SUCH MATERIAL AND/OR DATA.
EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH ON OUR SITES, DCHS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT AND IT MAKES NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION REGARDING THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF DCHS'S SERVICES, REGARDING THE ACCURARCY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH DCHS'S SERVICES OR THAT DCHS' SERVICES WILL MEET ANY USER’S REQUIREMENTS, BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE.
DCHS IS NOT LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND RESULTING FROM THE USE OF OR THE INABILITY TO USE DCHS' SERVICES, RESULTING FROM ANY GOODS OR SERVICES PURCHASED OR OBTAINED OR MESSAGES RECEIVED OR TRANSACTION ENTERED INTO THROUGH DCHS' SERVICES, RESULTING FROM LOSS OF, UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF A USER’S TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA OR FOR THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS AND SERVICES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLES, EVEN IF DCHS HAD BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless DCHS, its affiliates, officers, directors, employees, consultants and agents from any and all third party claims, liability, damages and/or costs (including, but not limited to, attorneys fees) arising from your use of our services, your violation of the Terms of Service or your infringement, or infringement by any other user of your account, of any intellectual property or other right of any person or entity. The Terms of Service will inure to the benefit of DCHS's successors, assigns and licensees.
These Terms of Service will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Tennessee. Any action brought to enforce this agreement or matters related to the site shall be brought in either the state or federal courts of Tennessee. If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision or portion of the Terms of Service to be unenforceable, the remainder to the Terms of Service will continue in full force and effect.
These Terms of Service constitute the entire agreement between the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersedes and replace all prior or contemporaneous understandings or agreements, written or oral, regarding such subject matter. Any waiver of any provision of the Terms of Service will be effective only if in writing and signed by DCHS.
November 17, 2012